While usually dependent on the quality of your incoming water, most dirt/rust/sediment filters should last between 3-7 months, or when you notice a pressure drop. This drop in pressure is a sign that your filter is becoming plugged.
Residential Complete Systems
Visit BRAE online at: www.braewater.com or call your local BRAE representative at 1 (800) 772-1958.
BRAE systems may integrate both chemical and non-chemical disinfection technologies for code compliance. Contact BRAE for regulatory and end-use application information relating to water quality.
The system will supply clean, clear and odorless rainwater for non-potable uses. Although the water may look clean it will require additional treatment if it is to be used for any purpose that involves human contact. CAUTION: Do Not Use for drinking, washing or cooking. Rainwater requires additional water treatment if it is going to be used for human consumption.
The system integrates multi-stage filtration which does not require replacement filters, however the filtration does require occasional maintenance.
- The pre-tank filter is mainly a self cleaning stainless steel filter, which we recommend to wash on a quarterly basis.
- The floating suction filter requires periodic maintenance. We recommend incorporating different filter types in series to prolong the effective filter life and reduce maintenance for each filter type.
Filtration of debris begins with gutters. We recommend screening the rainwater collection gutters to prevent large debris and leaves from entering downspouts. Recognizing that all gutters do not have this feature, BRAE offers a wide variety of Filtration products that work to prevent dirt, debris and unwanted trash from entering your water storage system. Rainwater enters your cistern through a calmed inlet which prevents disturbance of dirt particles that may have settled over time. Rainwater is pumped out of the cistern by a floating suction filter before being distributed to its intended use. Water Treatment packages are available that provide additional filtration and disinfection opportunities for your alternative rainwater supply. CAUTION: Filtration does NOT provide potable water.
The system will automatically switch on the municipal water back-up, which will either fill the storage tank up to a level of 20% (allowing storage capacity for when it rains again) or continue to supply the buffer tank (if fitted). (This back-up water supply feature is optional.)
For small capacity (under 2000 gallons) water storage, plastic tanks are very economical. They are inexpensive and convenient to install due to their light weight and they can be installed on almost any surface.
It is recommended the purchaser consider the following factors:
- What is the required (or desired) storage capacity?
- Select type of cistern: above or below ground, wood, steel, PE, concrete.
- Preferred diameter and height. Are there restrictions to size? Measure the area available for tank installation.
- Specific project or delivery location information and instructions.
- Desired schedule for delivery or completion.
- Pipe sizes. Inlet, outlet, overflow drain and location.
- Accessories. It's always more cost effective to purchase accessories at the same time as ordering the tank. Consider tank access and ladders, water level indicators and controls.
- Snow loading or special wind conditions.
Storage volume is a balance between local site environmental conditions, project budget and overall water supply goals. Properly balancing demand with collection potential will offer longer term success with your rainwater system.
Yes, BRAE has the capability to provide custom designed pump stations to meet your project’s unique distribution requirements.
Yes, BRAE Complete Rainwater Systems are designed to deliver flow and pressure ranges comparable to municipal water supplies, providing excellent pressure for washing cars and irrigating landscapes.
We specialize in the supply of rainwater systems, which utilize rainwater collected from the roof area of the building. Graywater is not to be confused with rainwater and usually refers to water collected from the bath/shower, hand basin and washing machine.
Water companies are as concerned as the rest of us about the amount of water needed by our increasing population and are supportive of any measures introduced to reduce the increasing need for water resources. BRAE Complete Rainwater Systems not only assist water utilities by promoting water conservation, but also reduce storm water entering the treatment plants, which reduces the costs upon the utilities for processing storm water.
Yes, water conservation has a big part to play in supporting your company policy to reduce water consumption. Many companies are aiming to achieve LEED Certification, administered by the US Green Building Council and implementing a BRAE Complete Rainwater System can help you to achieve the water efficiency goals this certification supports.
The system helps protect the environment in many ways:
- Implementing water conservation is beneficial towards reducing the need for new reservoirs and towards extending the useful life of existing water resources.
- Storm water run off can lead to localized flooding, the risk of which can be reduced through widespread installation of BRAE Rainwater Systems.
- Rainwater reduces the demand on over-burdened municipal water supplies and wastewater infrastructures in addition to reducing the amount of water withdrawn from rivers and aquifers.
Calculation: CA(Rainfall) x 0.6* = Collection Potential
Explanation: Your Collection Area (CA) is expressed in square feet. For example: 10 x 20 ft.
Collection Area = 200 SF (square feet). Your Collection Area is the footprint of your house or building independent of the roof pitch or shape. One inch of rain on one square foot of Collection Area equals 0.623 (0.6*) gallons of rainwater. For example, 1 inch of rain on 1,000 square feet of Collection Area yields 600 gallons of collectable rainwater.
Find a Sales Rep
For ordering parts, pricing, product availability and general product information, please contact an Authorized BRAE Representative.